Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mixin' It Up - Crowjito Style

I know, I know.  I keep talking about it but I haven't written a post for it.  Well here ya go! 

Let me begin by saying I have been a bartender for 13 years and I just now really started putting together my own concoctions.  Why? I don't know.  Maybe because no one wants to bring their job home or to a party.  "Make me something" - I can't tell you how many times I've heard this from friends and family members.  It's not that I don't want to, it's more like I freeze, my mind goes blank and I don't want to disappoint.  It's like asking a comedian to tell a joke, "Common funny guy, make me laugh".  Also, you've got to remember that I've always worked in chain restaurants where I've made basically the same 40 drinks over and over and over and I don't have the necessary ingredients at my disposal.  With that rant said and done, I have finally come up with a cocktail that I will put the Croissant stamp of approval on. 


2010 Bartending Competition - Making my "waterfall" glass stack


Now, in this day and age everything has been invented.  Every food recipe, every drink recipe.  Someone somewhere has made it, which is why the better, more modern thing to do is improve on an existing recipe, give it your own spin.  Before I give you the drink and the recipe I will go into one more informational section on where the name comes from.

Cro issant = Cro = Crow

This nickname was given to both my husband and my brother-in-law Adam ages ago.  Needless to say it's pretty darn cool so they've both held on to it and we shamelessly use it as often as possible.  Adam even went so far as to get a very large Crow tattoo (much to the chagrin of his mother). 

Being married into the Crow name, I feel an attachment to it and cleverly twisted it in naming my drink:

The Crowjito
My friends are all quite aware of my love affair with the Mojito and this is the one drink I will make them.  There's nothing not to like about it.  It's sweet and tart and refreshing and light and you can do a million things with it.
For my version I have chosen to swap out a few ingredients.

Recipe
2 oz. Captain Morgans Spiced Rum
7-10 mint leaves whole
4 oz. lemonade
splash soda water

In a shaker tin combine first 3 ingredients with a pint glass amount of cubed ice.  Shake like hell until the mint leaves are broken up. Pour into pint glass. Top with soda water and enjoy!
*Helpful hint* - Use a straw, it will cut down on mint-in-the-teeth.

Now here is why my version rocks! I have not only cut the ingredients down but I have also cut the preparation time and cost.  I replaced the regular rum with spiced rum and also replaced several fresh limes (or limeade, not as good) with lemonade.  Using a frozen concentrated lemonade will also eliminate the tablespoon of sugar used in a classic mojito because it is more sweet, less tart than limeade.  Don't skip the soda water! 
It's the final touch, giving the cocktail it's signature light fizzy goodness.

*Helpful hint #2* - If you use a Crystal Light Lemonade your drink will be almost carb free!

Try it for yourself and let me know what you think! Or just stop by my house any day after 5pm and chances are I'll be sipping on one. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment